Construction and Building Service FAQs

What if my neighbours object to my plans of Building Works?

Neighbours can only object with a valid planning reason, such as loss of light to their property. They can not object the building works simply because they don’t like it, or even if they believe it devalues their home, or spoils their view.

How long is Planning Permission valid for Building Works?

Building Work Planning Permission is valid for 5 years. If you do not build within this time, you will need to make a new application or apply for extension and either way this will incur further fees.

What if Planning Permission is refused for Building Works?

Building Work Planning permission must only be refused for legitimate building planning reasons. The local building planning authority must give a written account of these reasons. If you do not agree with the building planning decision you can apply for an appeal.

How long is Building Regulations Approval valid for Building Works?

The Building Regulations Approval is valid for 3 years. If you do not build within this time, you will need to make a new application or apply for extension and either way this will incur further fees.

Can I claim back the V.A.T on Building Works?

You can reclaim the VAT on building work labour and materials, but not on the Architectural Services for the new properties, and some conversion building works such as those involving a change of use from office to dwelling construction. You cannot claim VAT on extension building works. If you are unsure, contact your local inland revenue office.

Do I need planning permission for all extension and conversion Building Works?

Some extensions are allowed under Building Permitted Development. It is always advisable to check with the Planning Department first where you can obtain the informal written advise and easiest way to check it yourself on

Once I obtained the full build planning permission, can the build start?

No. It is strongly recommended to first obtain the party wall agreements before the build started so to avoid any mischievous damage claims against you once the build started. The party wall agreements come into effect whenever any structural works are carried on the party wall or grounds works below the party wall footings within 3 metres distance. Though, in some other case, despite none of the above being applicable, the party wall survey may still apply so please speak to us first.

Does is cost me anything to ask you for a building quote?

No. Please simply contact us via Building Service Enquiry form and we will arrange the mutually convenient time for the first site meeting. Or, for the indicative estimate, please forward your plans via the same form.

What type of building or construction work do you do?

The full array of building and refurbishment works, from home extension or loft conversions, luxurious refurbishment, basement conversion through to new build.

What qualifications or memberships do you have?

The certificates of the builders or decorators on site will depend on your project specifics. If you need a new boiler and central heating, then a certified Gas Safe Registered heating engineer will carry out the installations and give you a certificate upon the completion. Other qualifications include The Guild of Master Craftsmen, Federation of Master Builders and Part P Elecsa Electrical Safety.

 1 2 3

If you would like to get the quote for the building works in London or just do not know where to start with your property investment decisions, please click here to contact Hansen&Co London Building company or give us a call.